High-performance products and systems, in-house applications engineering specialists, and the ability to evaluate multiple options ensures the optimum solution rather than a one-size-fits-all approach.
DUCON® is an innovative, high-performance system designed for extreme load resistance and energy absorption. DUCON® combines an infuseable ultra-high-performance grout with a densely layered MicroMat® steel reinforcement system.
Placement characteristics similar to concrete, combined with the ductility and energy absorption properties of steel, give DUCON® “moldable, steel-like” characteristics.
DUCON® System Features:
- Very high flexural, shear, and compressive strengths
- Extremely high energy absorption characteristics
- Ductility characteristics similar to steel
DUCON® and MicroMat® trade names and patents are owned by DUCON GmbH and are distributed exclusively in North America by STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES for strengthening and force protection applications.
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ externally bonded FRP systems utilize lightweight, high-strength carbon fibers bonded with adhesive resins. V-Wrap™ systems are typically used in force protection applications for standoff threats.
V-Wrap™ is extremely flexible in its application and can be used on nearly any type of structural member in order to harden, increase structural capacity and help protect against uplift, progressive collapse and spalling.
V-Wrap™ FRP Composite System Features:
- Increased flexural capacity of column, beam, and slabs in nearly any orientation
- Ability to maintain column integrity through improved confinement
- Spall protection for standoff blast applications
- Ability to harden a structural member without significantly increasing its size
- Speed of installation
- Easy integration with other systems
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ enlargement systems bond additional reinforced concrete to existing structures. Our systems are used to increase or restore load-carrying capacity to a variety of structures. Customized for every application, these systems are ideal for situations that require improved strength and stiffness.
TstrataEnlargement System™ Features:
- Easy integration with existing structure
- Uniform appearance and repair schemes that blend well with the existing structure
- High benefit-to-cost ratio (durable and cost effective strengthening solution)
- Inherent fire-resistance capability
- Can be used with other force protection solutions, such as DUCON®, V-Wrap™ FRP, and Tstrata Steel Plate™
Tstrata Steel Plate™ solutions are custom designed and fabricated to meet a wide variety of force protection requirements, ranging from blast protection to forced entry mitigation. Feasibility analysis, design assistance, cost development, as well as fabrication and procurement of Tstrata Steel Plates™ are all part of the range of the technical solutions available through STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES.
Tstrata Steel Plate™ Advantages :
- Ease of integration with existing structure
- Minimal space requirement
- Minimal floor space loss
- High effectiveness
- Applicable in conjunction with other STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES solutions, such as DUCON®, V-Wrap™ FRP, and Tstrata Enlargement Systems™
As part of its full line of Force Protection solutions, STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES brings to its clients bonded post-tensioning (P-T) technology that can be used to meet force protection and progressive collapse requirements in new construction.
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES can provide feasibility analysis, design assistance and cost development for a full range of P-T products and solutions to enhance force protection capabilities of existing structures as well as new construction applications.
Enhancing new construction designs against progressive collapse:
- Pre-stress force is ideally located for bending due to gravity loads and blast loads
- Use of high strength strands improve a members ability to withstand a higher blast loadBonded PT can maintain continuity and prestress force if an anchorage is lost
- For beams and slabs, bonded tendons can be profiled to counter the internal forces resulting from a lost column and to resist moment reversals that can occur during a blast event
Structural Technologies, LLC is the exclusive licensee of VSL® Post-Tensioning Systems in the United States.
Hardwire and STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES have partnered to design, fabricate, and install more bridge armor systems in the United States than any other supplier — protecting more than 10 cable supported bridges across the country.
Cable Armor Protection Systems protect against a variety of threats, such as:
- Non-Explosive Cutting Device (NECD)
- Blast (HEIED)
- Fragment Simulated Projectile (FSP)
- Stand-Off Weapon
- Manual Sabotage
Hardwire® trade names and patents are owned by Hardwire LLC.
Specialized Engineering Support Services
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES in-house team of force protection experts and application engineers work hand-in-hand with owners, engineers of record, blast consultants and general contractors to develop the best solutions from a wide range of products. By partnering with design professionals we assist in solution development by providing:
- Determination of blast loads and pressures
- Analysis of blast capacity and performance determinants
- Blast mitigation conceptualization and option development
- Detailed high-fidelity analysis and design of mitigation options
- Structural design of blast mitigation solutions
Each product in STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES force protection line can be custom engineered by our application engineering group to adjust to your specific project needs. Often multiple product solutions are combined and modified to optimize both performance and value.
Collaboration with our in-house contracting services that understand constructability, schedule and construction costs ensure all elements of the project are taken into account in developing the highest value solution.
Force Protection Engineering Team Leader
Tarek Alkhrdaji, PhD, PE, is Vice President of Engineering with Structural Technologies, Hanover MD. He received his Masters and Ph.D. degrees at the Missouri University of Science and Technology. Dr. Alkhrdaji has experience in structural repair and strengthening and full scale load testing of concrete structures. He has been involved in more than 400 projects involving structural repair and strengthening and was involved in numerous repair and strengthening projects that received awards from The American Concrete Institute (ACI), the Post-Tensioning Institute (PTI), and the International Concrete Repair Institute (ICRI). Dr. Alkhrdaji also has experience in design, planning and execution of full-scale load testing of structures for strength evaluation and performance verifications. such as ACI, ASCE, AWWA, SEA, PTI, and ICRI. Dr. Alkhrdaji is currently an active member of He is also an active member of ACI Committee 437 (Strength Evaluation of Existing Concrete Structures), ACI Committee 562 (Concrete Repair Code), a member of ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers), ICRI (International Concrete Repair Institute) and AWWA (American Water Works Association).
Dr. Alkhrdaji has written more than 40 papers and articles on structural strengthening of structures including buildings, bridges, silos, tanks and concrete pipes. He has made many technical presentations at major industry events, professional organizations seminars and conferences and was the past Chair of ACI Subcommittee 440F (FRP Repair & Strengthening).
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES' licensed engineering services are provided by Structural Technologies StrongPoint, LLC - A Structural Group Company, or through other licensed engineers.
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES provides construction phase support services to ensure that the force protection systems are installed properly and will carry out their intended functions. We coordinate with builders to provide project-specific oversight, quality assurance and quality control.
Turnkey Investigate – Design – Build Solutions
When paired with Structural Group's specialty contracting companies—we provide our clients with a full range of force protection design support, construction, and maintenance services from a single source of accountability. Together, we seamlessly deliver customized, cost-effective, and long-lasting solutions for structural challenges.