70-Inch Steel Pipe Renewal with StrongPIPE® V-Wrap™ Carbon Fiber System
- Steel condensate pipe with time-related corrosion
- Solution was an alternative to full replacement of pipe which would have also required dismantling steel structure supporting pipe
- Five layers of StrongPIPE® V-Wrap™ Carbon Fiber installed to renew pipe
- Repairs were performed while unit was online
- Investigation & Material Supplier: STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES
- Specialty Contractor: STRUCTURAL
A steel condensate 70-inch steel pipe with time-related corrosion needed repairs. There was a steel support structure surrounding the pipe making full replacement challenging.
STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ engineering team developed a repair solution that provided an alternative to replacing the pipe. Full replacement of the pipe would have required dismantling the supporting structure.
STRUCTURAL was hired to perform the repairs. The pipe surfaces were cleaned and primed with epoxy. One layer of fiberglass was then installed as a dielectric barrier. Using STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ StrongPIPE® V-Wrap™ Carbon Fiber System, the team wrapped the pipe with five layers. Repairs were performed while the unit was online and the solution provided long-term strengthening to the pipe.