Emergency Pipe Repair
- 30-inch concrete bar-wrapped concrete water supply line had catastrophic failure
- Christmas Eve call and mobilization for emergency repair of 24LF of pipe to prevent delay startup in refinery
- Scope included removal of existing FRP system that did not perform
- Material Supplier: STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES
- Specialty Contractor: STRUCTURAL
A refinery had a leak in a 30-inch cement lined and coated river water supply line. A previous attempt to wrap the line failed when put under pressure and the client wanted to look into different repair options. Because the water supply line was crucial to the plant operations, the client needed an emergency repair to avoid delay startup.
STRUCTURAL was chosen to perform the repairs. The team removed the existing FRP system that did not perform. Using high strength epoxy mortar, the holes and breaches were then filled, followed by further surface preparation. The pipe was then wrapped with STRUCTURAL TECHNOLOGIES’ V-WrapTM Carbon Fiber (CFRP) System. This method provided a long-term, custom engineered solution to strengthen the pipe.